Base-2: A Space to Explore Math

What is Base-2?

That remains to be seen!

All I know is that a small community of math enthusiasts appeared to be forming around the Norman WIldberger video series “Exploring Research Level Maths” and that this community seemed to need a better venue in which to collectively explore ideas. A traditional forum seemed to be the best idea.

Where or if this forum goes from here…who knows? Maybe you?

If you have ideas for how to improve this experience, I’m all ears.

BTW, this forum supports Latex. If you want to do inline math typesetting, enclose Latex code between single dollar signs. So if I took the characters x^2+y^2=z^2 for \ x,y,z, \in Z and placed it between dollar signs, I get x^2+y^2=z^2 for \ x,y,z, \in Z.

Do display a block of math, enclose your Latex code between double dollars signs ($$) on their own lines.

\begin{align*} xy & = (a+b\sqrt{2})(\frac{a}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}+\frac{-b}{a^2-2b^{2}}\sqrt{2})\\ & = \frac{a}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}+\frac{ab}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}\sqrt{2}-\frac{ab}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}\sqrt{2}-\frac{2b^{2}}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}\\ & = \frac{a}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}-\frac{2b^{2}}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}\\ & = \frac{a^{2}-2b^{2}}{a^{2}-2b^{2}}\\ & = 1 \end{align*}

Hi Chris,
I’m Gianfranco and start using this plateform. BTW I cannot figure out how I can tell something about myself or post new comment into the topic “ADE graphs etc…”. Can you help me ? thanks

Hi Gianfranco and welcome. So you are seeing the “Reply” option on this topic but not on the other topics?

There should be a Reply option at the bottom of every thread (image below), as well as on each post.

If you are not seeing these, there may be a permissions issues, which is strange. I will look to see that you have the same account status as everyone else (which you should!)

Thanks Chris now I understand. The reply button can be used to reply to a given post or to start a fresh one?